I had the pleasure of talking with the guys behind Mantis Burn Racing at EGX 2016 and was thoroughly impressed with the thought and design behind this new top-down racing game from VooFoo Studios.
Take your minds back to Micro Machines; this was a good fun multiplayer that came out in the early 90’s and is still fun today if you can dust off your old megadrive. Accelerate to 2016 and the console top-down genre is about to re-emerge.
Mantis burn is coined by the creators as an RPG which is really interesting for a racing game. It will feature a bevy of different vehicles to choose from, and, at least 20 hours of career mode to chew through.
Did I mention vehicle upgrades? Each car will have 18 slots for upgrades. 18 is the max though and fresh out the blocks most of them will stay empty for quite a while. You will also have in-race specials to use, I only managed boost though on my short session. Weekly challenges, 4 player local split screen, full native 4k on the new PS4 Pro at 60fps; the only two games managing this currently are Last of us and the Elder Scrolls.
I jumped on for ten minutes and took the sand buggy through its paces on a couple of tracks; the physics involved in turning, drifting etc was wonderful and felt very realistic, sadly i did not manage to beat the best daily time.
Seriously nice looking though and built from the engine up, literally, I wish them the best of luck with this game, though I am sure luck is not necessary, the gap is there, only time will tell.
- Compelling Career Mode – Test every aspect of your driving ability in a comprehensive 7-season career structure where you choose your progression path on the road to being crowned Mantis Burn Racing Champion.
- Bumper-to-Bumper Racing – Jump the sand dunes of sun-scorched Sand Town or burn rubber on the asphalt city streets of New Shangri-la in high-risk, high-speed but most of all, highly competitive racing.
- Incredible Vehicles – Choose from a roster of fully customisable built-for-racing vehicles in 3 distinct categories, each with their own unique handling and performance traits with speedy dune-buggies, versatile road-racers and super-strong 6-wheeler trucks competing side-by-side in the same race.
- Stunning Visuals – Race across stunning reversible tracks located in 2 distinct environments with incredible photo-realistic visuals for crystal clear high-octane racing.
- Intuitive, exciting gameplay – Enter a world of realistic, but fun, vehicle handling with intuitive and exciting gameplay where the driving experience takes centre stage.
- RPG-Style Upgrade System – Fine tune your vehicle’s handling and performance to your exact preference and playing style via a RPG-style upgrade slot system that offers an almost infinite amount of vehicle variations, creating a unique race experience for every player.
- Challenging Game Modes – Master 8 fun game modes – including knockout, accumulator and time trial – that keep the extensive solo career fresh and exciting.
- Weekly Challenges – Race your way to the top of the Global leader boards in unique challenges each week for the ultimate in bragging rights.
- Intense Multiplayer – 4 player local split-screen racing with extensive online modes for up to 8 players allowing players worldwide to race together seamlessly.
- Original Soundtrack – Race to an original ambient-electro soundtrack written especially for the game.
- Regular Updates – Regular updates including free and paid content packs.
On Steam already and coming to PS4 and Xbox 1 very soon!
For more gadget and gaming related news & tips, come visit us at the Gadgethelpline