Google’s Chrome browser has don the unthinkable in in recent years, it has finally dethroned Microsoft’s Internet explorer as the world’s most popular internet browser. Now we love Chrome, most of the Gadget Helpline team use it as their default browser and after years of experimenting the Chrome system beeps getting better.
One thing we have always equally loved and hated is the Spelling checker, which until recently we have had set to just what is commonly known as American English, which causes no end of confusion to our British writing skills.
However there is a way of changing this to your preferred (ours apparently is English United Kingdom!) language and spelling language with just a few steps.
- Open your Google Chrome browser
- Click the Chrome menu button on the browser toolbar.
- Select Settings.
- Click Show advanced settings.
- In the “Languages” section, click Languages and input settings.
- If the Language is not listed in the Input box, click Add.
- Using the Dropdown select the desired Language (in our case English United Kingdom) and click OK.
- Click on the new Language in the input box and click “Use this language for spell checking” which is displayed on the right.
That’s it! You will now have your desired language for spelling, translating and as a default Language.
So no more changing centre to center, aluminium to aluminum and Americanisation to Americanization.