True to its word Sony is releasing their new handheld PS Vita this year as the electronics company confirmed that the PSP replacement will be out on December 17 in Japan.
While the European release is still unclear it’s great news that the handheld will be out in at least one territory before the year is out and is surely pointing to a roll out around the rest of the world in due course.
Set to boast a 1.5GHz ARM A9 quad-core processor from launch the PS Vita will feature a 5-inch 960 x 544p OLED display as well as landing in both Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi plus 3G forms. The Wi-Fi + 3G model is to hit Japan priced 29,980 YEN (£247) with the Wi-Fi only version to sport a 24.980 (£206) price tag.
The handheld will come with the obligatory twin 3D sticks, d-pad and a standard set of Playstion controls. But Vita will also come with a host of next generation controls and innovations including three-axis gyroscope, accelerometer, electronic compass, front and rear cameras and for the first time on a hand held front and rear touch interfaces..
There will be 26 PlayStation Vita Japan launch titles and there are 100 games touted for release by March 2012.
Be sure to read the Gadget Helpline’s Gaming Weekly – We’ve got the latest news bytes and a unique commentary on events in the gaming world – right here!
Send us your thoughts via tweet to the Official Gadget Helpline Twitter or drop us a comment on our Official Facebook page!
The 26 launch titles, in alphabetical order, are:
- BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend – 2D fighting game (Arc System Works)
- Project N.O.E.L.S. (working title) – music player (Arc System Works)
- 3gokushi touchbattle (working title) – MMO/RTS (AQ Interactive)
- Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 – fighting game (Capcom) – Launch title
- Nature of Night of Kamaitachi – 11th visitor, A Suspect (tentative) – adventure: sound novel (Chunsoft)
- F1 2011 – racing game (Codemasters)
- Dream C Club Zero Portable – dating simulation game (D3 Publisher)
- Niconico – Niconico (Dwango)
- Fis Oh – sport fishing (Kadokawa Games)
- Katamari Damacy (working title) – roll-’em-up (Namco Bandai)
- Ridge Racer (working title) – racing game (Namco Bandai)
- Disgaea 3 Return – strategy RPG (Nippon Ichi Software)
- Virtua Tennis 4: World Tour Edition – sport tennis (Sega)
- @field – sport golf (Sonic Powered)
- Uncharted: Golden – action adventure (Sony)
- Little Deviants – mini-game collection (Sony)
- Minnato Issho – social communications (Sony(
- Hot Shots Golf Next (Everybody’s Golf Next) – sport golf (Sony)
- Yuusha no kiroku (TBD) – life management (Sony)
- Monster Radar – location-based game (Sony)
- Shinobido 2: Tales of the Ninja – stealth action (Spike)
- Army Corps of Hell – action (Square Enix)
- Lord of Apocalypse – action RPG (Square Enix)
- Dynasty Warriors Next – action with a bit of thinking (Tecmo Koei)
- Dark Quest – RPG (Ubisoft)