Ever wished to change your AI assistant voice?
Having a virtual assistant can be very useful in this technologically fast paced world we now find ourselves connected to. The main uses we have for these assistants are menial tasks. Tasks such as make an appointment, dim the lights, play a music track etc.
Regardless of the voice, these devices will generally perform the same functions. The choice of the voice you hear every day should be a choice you make on setup. It should also be possible to change the voice depending on what you wish to hear all the time.
Wish no more! Listed below are the voice setting changes available depending on device.
AI assistant voice (Google, Apple, Amazon)
- Make sure your mobile device or tablet is connected to the same Wi-Fi as your Google Home device.
- Open the Google Home app .
- In the bottom right corner of the Home screen, tap Account .
- Verify that the Google Account that is listed is the one linked to Google Home. To switch accounts, click the triangle next to the account name and email address.
- With an Android device, tap Settings. If iOS, tap More Settings
- Tap Assistant tab then ‘Assistant voice’.
- Choose a voice.
- Open Settings app
- Tap on Siri.
- Tap on Siri Voice.
- Choose between American, Australian, and British accents for Siri
- Select either Male or Female to change the gender of the voice assistant.
Alexa is currently only female. There are, however, a few different female accents.
Currently developers using Amazon Polly have access to multiple voices and voice gender change.
Patience getting the better of you? There is a way. A little coding experience is required though.
The organisation have released a paper (I’d blush if i could). The paper specifically looks at changes they believe need to be made to promote equality with AI assistant voice in mind.
Interestingly enough, UNESCO’s declared purpose is to contribute to peace and security by promoting international collaboration through educational, scientific, and cultural reforms in order to increase universal respect for justice, the rule of law, and human rights along with fundamental freedoms proclaimed in the United Nations Charter.
Whether you agree or not, it is quite the mouthful. For some, goals with a defined moral compass can be hard to swallow. Ultimately, there is no reason that these devices should not give all users their choice of AI assistant voice on first setup.
For any other AI and gadget related tips, check out the Gadgethelpline.