What a year it’s been for the web; after last week’s Google Zeitgeist 2012 list was published, showcasing just what we had searched for in 2012, YouTube has now compiled a list of its 2012 top trends and put together a fantastic video montage featuring the stars and pop culture icons of YouTube from the past year.
The video sees the likes of PSY, Carly Rae Jepsen and Walk the Earth take part in the video, all of which have not only shaped what we have been watching this year but also the state of the music charts in many countries.
2012 has been the year that has seen the connection between popular culture and the internet (specifically YouTube) completely overlap, as much of the year’s biggest breakouts have started via YouTube and then exploded all over the world.
YouTube has listed its top 10 videos which include a certain South Korean, some super skydiving and even some dubstep via Violin mashup.
The top 10 looks like this:
- PSY – GANGNAM STYLE
- Somebody That I Used to Know – Walk off the Earth (Gotye – Cover)
- KONY 2012
- “Call Me Maybe” by Carly Rae Jepsen – Feat. Justin Bieber, Selena, Ashley Tisdale & MORE!
- Barack Obama vs Mitt Romney. Epic Rap Battles Of History Season 2.
- A DRAMATIC SURPRISE ON A QUIET SQUARE
- WHY YOU ASKING ALL THEM QUESTIONS? .. #FCHW
- Dubstep Violin- Lindsey Stirling- Crystallize
- Facebook Parenting: For the troubled teen.
- Felix Baumgartner’s supersonic free-fall from 128k’ – Mission Highlights
You can see a full list of YouTube’s 2012 highlights via their own Rewind 2012 channel which has some of the best (and worst) videos of the year, all of which have kept us entertained throughout 2012.
YouTube has also put out a handy timeline video linking out to the biggest hits, month by month.
Our favourites include Gangnam Style, the epic Baumgartner space skydive and “My First Hardcore song”!